Array ( [id] => 36 [parent_id] => 36 [topic_id] => 1 [topic_name] => The U.S. Electric Power Industry [topic_name_short] => Electric Power [code] => E1011 [sort] => 1 [title] => Introduction to the U.S. Electric Service System [format] => [posted] => 1 [status] => active [num_sessions] => 1 [date_live] => 2019-07-23 [date_ondemand] => 2019-08-07 [timezone] => U.S. EDT [is_live] => 1 [is_ondemand] => 1 [ondemand_ready] => 0 [instructor_id] => 1 [instructor_name] => John Adamiak [instructor_title] => President PGS Energy [instructor_description] =>
John Adamiak is President and Founder of PGS Energy Training and an expert in energy derivatives and electric power markets. Mr. Adamiak is a well-known and highly effective seminar presenter who has over 20 years experience in the natural gas and electric power industries. His background includes 15 years as a seminar instructor, 9 years of energy transaction experience, and 6 years of strategic planning and venture capital activities. John's academic background includes an M.B.A. degree from Carnegie Mellon University.[price_first] => 295.00 [price_second] => 145.00 [price_addtl] => 95.00 [date_live_friendly] => July 23rd [date_live_friendly_short] => Jul 23 [date_live_friendly_full] => Tuesday, July 23rd [date_ondemand_friendly] => August 7th [date_ondemand_friendly_short] => Aug 7 [time_start_friendly] => 1:00 pm [time_end_friendly] => 4:30 pm [duration_friendly] => [MOD(SUM(webinar_sessions.ondemand_duration),60)] => [SUM(webinar_sessions.ondemand_duration)/60] => [duration_live] => 210 [intro] =>
A fundamental knowledge of the structure and function of the physical electric service system is necessary before one can properly understand the U.S. electric power industry and its markets.
This easy-to-follow presentation explains key electricity terms, units, and important concepts; how the six North American power grids are set up and function; how electricity flows from generation to load; what load shedding and demand response are, and how balancing authorities and control areas "keep the lights on."
This proven online seminar features the same material used in the popular PGS in-person classroom training program. Register today and join the over 10,000 energy professionals who have already benefited from an in-depth PGS seminar.[learn] =>
- The properties of electricity including voltage, AC power, direct current, reactive power (vars) and other electric power terms and concepts.
- The basic concept of how AC electromagnetic generators and AC motors work, and why reactive power can be an important issue for industrials and solar generation resources.
- The difference between real power (MW) and electrical energy (MWh), and why the power industry can have negative prices during off-peak hours.
- An overview of the North American electric service system (T&D wires and generation), and how it functions.
- How power moves across transmission lines, and what line losses, shrinkage, var support, ancillary services, and parallel flows are.
- The difference between AC and DC high voltage power lines.
- How the North American power industry is set up, the locations of the six North American AC power grids, and how the electric bulk transmission and distribution systems are structured.
[agenda] => [attend] =>
- What control areas and balancing authorities are, and how they "keep the lights on.".
- What the definition and role is of the AGC system, spinning reserve, quick start capacity and load shedding.
- How control areas, balancing authorities, and ISOs prepare the pre-hour operating schedule, and why ISOs and RTOs are fundamentally just large control areas.
- How the re-dispatch of generating units can impact the availability of power line transmission capacity.
- What the terms lambda and security constrained-environmental-economic dispatch mean.
This seminar will benefit a wide variety of organizations in the electric power, financial and energy industries. Professionals from banks, energy producers, electric utilities, energy marketers, industrial companies, electric generators, and municipals will gain valuable insights, as will natural gas, oil and electric power executives, traders, marketers, (sales, purchasing & risk management professionals), accountants, economists, trading support staff, auditors, attorneys, government regulators, rate specialists, plant operators, engineers and corporate planners.[prereq] =>
This fundamental level group live seminar has no prerequisites. No advance preparation is required before the seminar.[choose] =>
PGS seminars are known for their clear explanations and in-depth content. Register for a PGS class today, and join the over 10,000 energy professionals who have already attended one of PGS's proven programs.[datetime_created] => [datetime_updated] => 2019-07-22 18:50:07 [datetime_deleted] => [live_available] => 0 [available] => 1 [date_now] => 2019-07-23 [time_now] => 00:00:01 [time_start] => 13:00:00 [time_now_plus_hour] => 01:00:01 [datetime_now] => 2019-07-23 00:00:01 [title_url] => online-seminar/E1011/Introduction-Electric-Service-System/36 [datetime_string] => [description_promo] => An On-Demand Minute Webinar [prices] => Array (  => Array ( [price] => 295.00 [quantity] => 1 [description] => Single Attendee ) [unlimited] => Array ( [price] => 95.00 [quantity] => unlimited [description] => Unlimited Group ) ) [sessions] => Array (  => Array ( [id] => 828 [webinar_id] => 36 [num] => 1 [time_start] => 13:00:00 [time_start_friendly] => 1:00 PM [hour_start] => 01 [minute_start] => 00 [ampm_start] => PM [time_end] => 16:30:00 [time_end_friendly] => 4:30 PM [hour_end] => 04 [minute_end] => 30 [ampm_end] => PM [time_short] => 1:00-4:30PM [timezone] => [url] => https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/981290509 [phone_dom] => +1 (872) 240-3412 [phone_intl] => [access_code] => 981-290-509 [url_slides_web] => [url_slides_pdf] => [ondemand_media_id] => [ondemand_duration] => ) ) [files] => Array (  => Array ( [id] => 37 [sec_code] => 835962 [webinar_id] => 36 [filename] => 20190722144848-E1011PGSOnlineSeminar72219.pdf [filename_original] => E-1011 PGS Online Seminar (7-22-19).pdf [description] => New Slides to rint for Online Introduction to the U.S. Electirc Service System [sort] => 1 [datetime_created] => 2019-07-22 18:48:48 [datetime_updated] => 2019-07-22 18:48:48 [datetime_deleted] => [url] => https://pgsenergy.com/dl/online-seminars/835962/37 ) ) )